Sunday 31 May 2015

Weekly Recommendation - Week #040 - Wait, I Thought the Eighties Were Over?

It's a well known fact that things often make comebacks. This can include all sorts of things, from one-hit wonder bands trying to make a name for themselves by making new music but people only want them to play that one song they did that one time, to confectionery that people petition to be brought back from their childhoods that they stopped making due to the fact that it was probably tearing them apart one sugary bite at a time. Enough about specifics, because I'm directly referring to an entire era. That's right, the eighties (good guess.) Not only are people once again falling in love with the neon glow of the past, but they are trying to replicate it in various media forms. So to carry on the comeback of the eighties, I'm once again recommending eighties stuff, but rather than actual stuff from the eighties, stuff from the now! That's trying to pretend it was from the eighties! Like I did in the first eighties recommendation! Because I'm a lazy idiot! Exclamation marks!

Kung Fury - LaserUnicorns (Movie)

So the world seems a bit obsessed with this crowd sourced, completely free to watch movie, and with good reason, because it is one of the greatest things to grace the eyeballs of mankind. If you love dumb homages to the eighties, then this is right up your alley punk. VHS effects, neon, awful voice-acting, awful one-liners, dinosaurs, nazis and, most importantly, David Hasselhoff. I'm not even joking, they got David Hasselhoff to do a song for it, and it's cracking. In fact, the entire soundtrack is synthy and phenomenal. Did I mention this movie was free? GO WATCH IT PUNK! WE NEED SOME ACTION! There is really nothing else to say, it's phenomenal. Like insanely so.

In Decay - Com Truise (Music)

I could have easily recommended the soundtrack to Kung Fury, but I'm not going to, because then I would have had to make the game the Kung Fury game. Which I was going to do, but I haven't played the game yet so yeah, I had to improvise. This album is classic 80's revival music, but instead of the more intense music that you'd get from say Perturbator or PowerGlove, this is a lot calmer, and is in fact actually really soothing and relaxing. I adore the gentle synthy tones of Com Truise. This album helps me get through a lot of things, college work, revision, stress, this current piece of writing, this list goes on! I can't count how many times I have listened to it, and I hope I get you hooked too. Also, look how rad that album art is. Groovy. Speaking of Perturbator...

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - Devolver Digital (Game)

FUCKING HOTLINE MIAMI 2! It is well known from the fact that I talk about it so much, listen to the soundtracks so much, and wear the jacket from the main character so much, that I absolutely adore this franchise. I recommended the first game in the original eighties piece, which you can find here, This game is just like the first game, but with more levels, more character variation, a crazier story, and ONE OF THE GREATEST SOUNDTRACKS EVER CREATED. SERIOUS LISTEN TO THIS, AND THIS, AND THIS! Then calm down with this beautiful piece that I actually want at my funeral. If you love ultra-violence, getting angry, insane soundtracks, and dying over and over, this game is perfect for you. Also they're adding a level editor, complete with cut-scene editor, so you can basically make Hotline Miami 3. Or the tale of the Neon Avenger (whoops secret project hush hush.)

Make no mistake, I love the eighties, but I do not believe I was born in the wrong era, no sir, I believe I was born at the perfect time. Why? So I can enjoy all this eighties revival stuff while I'm young. Peace and love guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment